Thursday, March 15, 2007

Christ as elephant, or mouse

The other day I was visited by an ‘upright’ Christian couple. They sat uncomfortably in my living room, pursing their lips. After a while they asked me, “Do you believe in Jesus Christ?” “Sure,” I said, “Jesus Christ is an historical fact.”

“Then why is it that you have all these non-Christian symbols around your house?” they persisted.

They were obviously perturbed by the Ganesha figure outside my door. And the very many Ganesha statues and symbols that are sprinkled around my house. By the Ganesha symbol on my computer.

Why not? This is India, and why can’t one have Indian images in his house?

Ganesha is a wonderful representation of the power of God. The power of the almighty. The power of mind over matter. The power of Nirvana.

The Ganesha icon is also known as Vighna-mochan. The remover of obstacles. The Ganesha symbol is an elephant headed man astride a mouse. The elephant is the biggest animal in the jungle. Nothing can withstand the charge of the elephant. He can tear a path through the densest and most tangled of forests.

The tiny mouse can cut a passage through the highest mountain. He can tunnel under the hardest rock.

Put the elephant and the mouse together and you have it! A wonderful representation of the remover of obstacles.

I love my Vighna –mochan. The remover of obstacles. That's God. Allah. Christ.

At times of perplexity, Christ comes to me as an elephant. And as a mouse.

Strange, you Christians talk of your God being everywhere. Pity you can’t recognise him.

No comments: